Koh Samui is considered one of the best island destinations in the entire world. And we can find many interesting places to visit around this captivating island.
We will go through everything you need to know and provide you with a complete guide to the most attractive sites that you should visit during your vacation to Samui, so you can be fully acquainted and know exactly where to stay, what to visit, and where to eat, to make your vacation unforgettable.
And these are the “Top interesting places to visit in Koh Samui”
1. Visit Big Buddha on Koh Samui this statue is the most popular among all landmarks on the island. Tourists find it very interesting as they come to observe the sacred rituals done by the Buddhists, in complete silence and admiration.
2. Visit Hin Yai and Hin Ta Rocks on Koh Samui’s south coast. They are popular with the names Grandpa (Ta) and Grandma (Yai). They are famous because of their weirdly interesting shapes, as they look like male and female organs respectively.
3. Visit Namuang Waterfall is off Route 4169 south of Koh Samui’s inland mountains between Hya Thanon and Hua Nathon. You should have a proper level of fitness to be able to reach the rocks on foot and make sure to wear strong footwear and walk carefully.
4. Visit Samui Aquarium and Tiger Zoo enjoy and explore diverse kinds of fish and marine creatures, mostly from Koh Samui.
5. Visit Secret Buddha Garden in Koh Samui in Koh Samui's interior, showing a great variety of imposing statues built by Khun Nim, an old fruit gardener from Samui in 1976 who started erecting temples and statues in his family’s land. Here we can see animals, humans, and deities in different poise, including Khun Nim himself, in a sitting position on a rock. He continued building his garden until his death at the age of 91.
6. Visit Koh Samui Snake Farm this is a great educational experience. Many snakes are taking part in this show, king cobras and giant pythons are part of the star attraction. They have daily shows with centipedes and scorpions, as well as cockfighting; one of the most popular traditional Thai sports. This is a fascinating spectacle that you should see and an educational experience that should not be missed.
7. Visit Wat Plai Laem at Plai Laem it is a Buddhist temple, the Goddess of Mercy and Compassion’s house, close to the Big Buddha temple, Wat Plai Laem is a sacred yet lively temple, surrounded by a lake where devotees come daily to pay homage to Guanyin and the Buddha.
8. Visit Nathon Town this town does not have a lot to offer to the short stay tourists but it is known for full banking services and the main post office where you can make oversea calls. Nathon is the Koh Samui’s main port; however, its administration center does not offer much entertainment to passing tourists.
9. Visit Laem Sor Pagoda this attraction is in the South West corner of the island. It is quiet and not frequently visited. The Laem Sor Pagoda is on the right at the end of the rocky beach of Bang Kao. The pagoda is not built from gold, but it looks golden from a distance.
10. Visit Chaweng and go karting at Chaweng lake you can practice Karting, ideal for teenagers and youngsters, this sport is among the thrilling ones in Chaweng. that is perfect for you if you like thrill and speed. Everybody can practice this sport; the age is not a limit. Practice at: Easykart at Chaweng Lake.
11. Visiting the mummified monk Koh Samui is not only famous for its beaches, but also for its temples too, unlike the other temples, Wat Khunaram is famous for the mummified monk that is kept on display in Koh Samui. The mummified body of Loung Pordaeng is kept in a glass casket in the temple. This is a unique experience that only offers Wat Khunaram in this magical land.
12. Take a temple tour if you want to know about the cultural or religious part in Koh Samui, you should visit the Buddhist temples. This is a significant venue for the Buddhists and a beautiful attraction for many people who want to know the religious part of Koh Samui.
Visit these: Big Buddha, Wat Plai Laem, Laem Sor Pagoda, Wat Kiri Wongkaram, Wat Samret, and Wat Rattanakosin
13. Visit Koh Samui to Kitesurf Kiteboarding or Kitesurfing, are sports for those who love adventure. Koh Samui offers calm and flat water to surf safely. Moreover, there is no sign of rocks, jellyfish, jet skis, or speedboats. Which makes it perfect for this sport.
14. Elephant Trekking visit the exotic flora and fauna, the refreshing waterfalls and verdant forest on an elephant's back, the national animal of Thailand.
15. A Jeep safari trip to the mountaintop views take a tour on a motorcycle or jeep safari, the most popular and well-known places and the lesser ones of Koh Samui. The 4WD jeep safari covers it all from the beaches to Grandmother and Grandfather’s rocks even to the mountaintops views.
16. The ideal way to relax when it is raining you can find a variety of spa resorts around the island and they are ideal to have a relaxing full-body massage or any spa treatment. Probably much cheaper than in your hometown.
17. Come to crocodile farm show Entertain yourself while watching the performers play with snake’s fangs, observe the spooky show when they put their head into the mouth of a crocodile, something incredible to witness, it is a unique thing to experience in Koh Samui.
18. Do you love beaches, bars, and pubs? You can give Koh Samui Full Moon party in Koh Phangan a try, where you will get to dance your troubles away with the craziest people and on the softest sand. The beaches, pubs, and bars are frequently visited by young people. The nightlife in Koh Samui is one of the most entertaining.
19. Visit the Ladyboy Cabaret Shows
Paris Follies Cabaret is one of the best places to visit in Chaweng district in Koh Samui. Besides the nightlife and parties on the island; there’s the famous cabaret shows, although these shows are not suitable for all ages, a great amount of people seems to be interested to watch their unusal dance performances in sparkling clothes.
20. Dine at the tropical beaches in Koh Samui you can find the best restaurants, and with a beachfront dining experience; you will have more than the food to enjoy.
“Remember that only people, scents, and places will matter eventually.”
Let’s continue with the hotels
Hotels, restaurants, and beaches are the basics, and Koh Samui offers different alternatives that suits all budgets. Hotels shape a big part of our experiences on a vacation. We are here to help you by showing the best places to stay in order to have the best experience possible.
Booking a room in a 5-star hotel is the way to ensure high-quality service and comfort, they offer wide lobbies, elegant furnishing, and high-quality linens as well as superior hotel amenities and first-class services.
Four most popular hotels in Koh Samui
These five star hotels in Koh Samui are located either in the downtown of Koh Samui or in the modern suburban areas where you can find the best restaurants and tourist attractions in Thailand.
Five star hotels with the most recent number of bookings:
Le Meridien Spa Resort An amazing luxurious hotel on Lamai Beach. This rocky shoreline Resort hosts 14 private villas, and 60 suites decorated with Thai and Chinese interior, categorized as oceanfront, pool villas, pool access suites, and terrace suites. Each room equipped with modern technology, quality furniture, and complementary services making this five-star hotel one of the top accommodation spots to enjoy the best of Koh Samui.
The Tongsai Bay this five-star hotel provides a gym with a swimming pool as well as free Wi-Fi, and for special guests who love deluxe facilities. Moreover, they have limousine services and Prana Spa, a kids pool and kids club. There is also a variety of drinks to select from at the outdoor bar, which is in front of the beach.
Long Tongsai offers cottages with air conditioning systems as well as a private balcony and other facilities.
Mantra Samui Resort offers five-star accommodation as well as an infinity pool. There is also a gym with another infinity pool and yoga classes. Nevertheless, it has a terrace to enjoy the sun. It’s one of the five star hotels that offer all kind of services to satisfy all guests.
Amari Koh Samui Amari Koh Samui is located on Koh Samui’s east coast in the Gulf of Thailand, not far from Chaweng. Setting right by the sea, it is a four-star resort offering the best possible service for everyone. You can find a variety of rooms’ options; from junior Suite Ocean Views to Superior Beach King Rooms. Amari Koh Samui has almost everything you need to enjoy your vacation.
What about restaurants?
Restaurants and tasty food can add more enjoyment to your trip. And there are a couple amazing restaurants that are a must to visit in Koh Samui. Now, we will first provide you with complete information about them in general; then, we will recommend the most visited restaurants in Koh Samui.
Koh Samui is a well-known island around the world as a culinary destination. Wherever you are from, you can find a piece of your favorite food in one of the world-class restaurants in Samui by the hands of extremely talented and innovative chefs, in addition to the famous traditional Thai cuisine as well as the trendy fusion restaurants with countless flavors waiting for you to discover. As every restaurant on Koh Samui has its own unique atmosphere.
On Koh Samui you can find every kind of food at any price whenever you want in big or small restaurants, even in street stalls, you will taste authentic traditional specialties and delicious seafood.
In Samui the number of restaurants, hotels, beaches, cafés, street stalls, beach vendors, and local places to eat in is enormous. Remember! It doesn’t matter what country you are from or what dish you like, in Samui; it’s definitely there.
Koh Samui island’s street food vendors sell the most delicious food, offering grilled meat, ice cream, fruits, and coconut juice, adding an extra tropical touch to your visit and making the place more interesting.
What do we recommend?
These 4 restaurants in Koh Samui!
Samui Röstiland Samui Swiss/Thai cuisine, located in the northern area of Lamai. Röstiland has clean bamboo and wooden furnishing with a beautiful sea view.
Kob Thai Restaurant is an open-air venue. It is an excellent place to chill-out and enjoy traditional Thai cuisine like spicy salads with a relaxing atmosphere and excellent prices. It is also located in Lamai.
Sabienglae Restaurant is located in Lamai Beach with a Thai first-class cuisine. Sabienglae Restaurant is a famous top-rated venue and its food is absolutely delicious.
Saffron located in the northern part of Lamai. Saffron is a magnificent restaurant perfectly set at the top of a hill with a perfect atmosphere and delicious Thai food.
Let’s end with the beaches
Koh Samui has the nicest white sand beaches that are hard to find elsewhere and is the second largest island in Thailand. Imagine an area of nearly 230 square kilometers combining about 60 islands and all of them have a touch of tropical paradise.
6 most popular beaches in Koh Samui
Chaweng Beach is the largest resort in town and the most popular beach on the island. With 6 kilometers of soft white sand and along the way we can find countless bars, restaurants, and shopping opportunities. Chaweng Beach offers more accommodation options than in any other place on the island. Chaweng is located on the eastern coast of Koh Samui with a wide bay and a tiny island.
Bang Por Beach is the longest sand seashore in Samui, covering a total length of 11 km, located west to Maenam. Bang Por has an authentic tropical touch; lined with restaurants, bars, and accommodation choices.
Lamai Beach if you like to play a sport or simply go swimming; this is a perfect quiet lovely beach, less crowded than Chaweng, with soft white sand covered with palms where you can chill for a while or enjoy the sunbathing. Lamai Beach has all the tourist facilities and options to enjoy and explore on your holiday. This beach is about 22 minutes away from Chaweng.
Bophut Beach is the only beach that still preserves a Thai-Chinese atmosphere. It may be the oldest one and perhaps, for this reason they try to preserve this place as one of the most elegant on the Island, with resorts affordable for everyone. Recently, it has been growing so fast in commercial areas. We could say that this beach is for relaxing and relishing due to the calm turbid waters and coconut palms.
Maenam Beach many people consider Maenam as a predominantly backpack beach, and it is either because it has stunning views of Koh Phangan or due to its resorts which are located at the end of the pathways, giving that touch of privacy than any other beach. Most of the beaches in Koh Samui have affordable prices and different options and in Maenam Beach, you can escape in peace for days, weeks, or even months in bungalows without spending too much cash.
Lipa Noi Beach if you are traveling with kids, this beach would be perfect, as it has soft sand and there are no rocks or corals in the water, besides, it is shallow for up to 90 meters in. Lipa Noi is the closest beach to the car ferry pier. This beach is not suitable for those who are looking for entertainment, and it’s not the ideal place for a night party, but its separation from the buzzing beaches to make it a paradise for travelers who regularly come in large groups. If you want to be in an authentic paradise for recharging and clearing your head from everything; it is worth it to pay a visit to Lipa Noi Beach.